My wife Jennica and I are writing a week-long series about teaching kids about gratitude and giving. During the week, we’ll have a number of lessons, activities and recipes to share.
In 1999, I was blessed with an opportunity to visit Haiti and serve at an orphanage. We have a special affinity for the country and the people, so one night as we were preparing our lesson, we decided to make Haitian rice and beans, one of our family’s favorite meals.
Haitian rice and beans recipe
1/4 cup butter
1 onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups white or brown rice
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp oregano
4 cups beef broth
Salt & pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until translucent. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Stir in the rice and beans and saute for one minute.
- Add the herbs and beef broth.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer on low for 15-18 minutes.
- Fluff the rice and let stand covered for 10 minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste. For adults, we recommend hot sauce!
We look forward to sharing the lessons we’ve taught our children and hope you enjoy the good food!