Please HELP Rush Life-Saving Aid to Victims
A deadly tropical cyclone swept through the city of Beira in the Sofala province, where FH has child sponsorship communities. While we have confirmed the safety of all sponsored children and our local staff, we’re deeply saddened by the immense destruction and loss of life.
Cylone Idai is regarded as the worst cyclone on record to hit Africa and the Southern Hemisphere. The storm killed hundreds of people. Torrential rain, devastating winds, and massive widespread flooding caused severe damage:
- Over 1.5 million people have been displaced and are in need of humanitarian assistance.
- More than 600 deaths reported and 1,600 others injured.
- Over 58,000 homes and schools have been destroyed.
- 1.2 million acres of crop area flooded — devastating the harvest season for farmers.
- Floods have wiped out the clean water supply — and the excessive standing water will cause an increased risk of waterborne diseases, including malaria.
- Trees and powerlines were downed, roads blocked with debris, and buildings destroyed.
FH staff are on the ground and responding to the most urgent needs. Food distribution, clean water, hygiene kits, and latrine construction are the immediate focus in the aftermath of this crisis. As families and communities begin to recover and rebuild, please join us in praying that peace and healing cover the people of Mozambique during this time of tragedy. Today, your gift will continue meet these urgent needs!
Photos: Sean Sheridan