You are making a difference in Philippines!
A glimpse of what your sponsored child’s life is like in Philippines:
SCHOOL AND EDUCATION
- About 90% of the population is literate, and education is required until the age of 12. However, many children from poverty-stricken communities do not attend school.
- Elementary, secondary, and college students all wear uniforms: pleated skirts and white blouses for girls, and white shirts and dark pants for boys.
- The school year runs from June to March. Schools vary in size, but it is not uncommon for public schools to have up to 50 students in a classroom.
- Opportunities for families to increase their income through training in vocational skills, family financial management, gardening, and how to raise goats and chickens.
- Improving sanitation through constructing handwashing facilities and water systems, and teaching families about good health practices, nutrition, sanitation, and hygiene.
- Construction of additional classrooms and libraries, especially for rural students, and computers.