“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him,
so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.”
— Romans 15:13
Celebrating Christmas Joy
‘Tis the season filled with songs, lights, presents, parties, decorations, and traditions. But these are all merely expressions of our Christmas joy, not the reason behind it.
Amid all the challenges, uncertainty, and changes continuing to rock our world, it’s a comfort and a joy to know that our celebrations have very little to do with the number of presents under the tree or the size of the crowd around the table.
What Christmas is really all about has remained constant for over 2,000 years: A baby, born of a virgin, wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger, whose birth was proclaimed by angels as “good news of great joy that will be for all the people” (Luke 2:10).
We have seen the true and lasting Christmas joy of our Savior filling hearts and changing lives around the world throughout this year. Some of the ways we have observed that joy include:
- Children laughing on their way to school, ready to learn and grow.
- Moms and dads smiling as they set the table for dinner, knowing there will be more to eat tomorrow.
- Communities rejoicing as they finally see a way forward out of poverty and into a bright future.
- And you, joyfully walking with each one of them through your prayers and generosity as a child sponsor and partner.
Getting into the Christmas Spirit
With Christmas Day fast approaching, now is the perfect time to focus our hearts and spirits on the true reason for the season.
With this in mind, here are some Scripture verses to remind you of the Good News of Jesus’ birth and the Christmas joy we celebrate every day, but especially this time of year:
- “For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” Isaiah 9:6
- “You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.” Psalm 16:11
- “When they saw the star, they rejoiced exceedingly with great joy. And going into the house, they saw the child with Mary his mother, and they fell down and worshiped him. Then, opening their treasures, they offered him gifts, gold and frankincense and myrrh.” Matthew 2:10-11
- “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.” John 3:16
- “As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you. Abide in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love. These things I have spoken to you that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.” John 15:8-11
Joy to the World
All across the globe, the joy of the Savior is filling hearts and transforming lives. Thank you for sharing this Christmas joy with children, families, and communities around the world. Merry Christmas from all of us at Food for the Hungry.
How to Pray for Your Sponsored Child at Christmas & Beyond
Family’s Adventure in Giving Back Started at a Concert
“God With Us” is Felt in this Nicaraguan Home